[Liverpool] OtherOS-on-Linux or Linux-on-OtherOS? was "Multi-Boot Query"

Simon Johnson simon.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 01:43:14 UTC 2009

009/3/20 Daniel Hulme <lpool-lug at istic.org>

> If your situation is such that a Windows environment is easier for you
> to maintain, then of course you should do what you describe. In fact, I
> \But for me, the limitations of MS Windows, as well as the excessive
> price tag, are enough to make it useless for the desktop. If you ever
> find yourself irritated when Windows restarts itself for updates while
> you weren't looking, or you buy a new wireless wotsit and can't make it
> work, or add a second sound card and find the user-friendly tools aren't
> so user-friendly any more; if that ever happens, don't forget there is
> an alternative out there.

My key problem with Windows is that is sterile. It's like Windows is the
field of corn that has been sprayed with DDT. The corn lives, everything
else is dead or dying. How much software does one have to install to make
Windows usable?
I install it and it's just such a bare experience. I install Debian, and
like all of nature, it is imperfect. However, its imperfection is what makes
it beautiful.

With Windows you get a product. With Free Software you get a community.
Kind Regards,
Simon Johnson