[Liverpool] Ubuntu On MSI Wind

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 15:16:25 UTC 2009

Hi Folks,

I've convinced my friend Rosie to bring her MSI Wind along to the meet on
Wednesday night. She's been asking me for a while to sort out the wireless
on it. She bought it with XP and installed Ubuntu apparently, I'm not sure
which version though. For some reason wireless isn't working for her under
Ubuntu and she said she's tried a few suggested solutions she found online.
I've helpfully roped you all in by confidently suggesting LivLUG could
probably fix it. I'm wondering if we should install the new release of
Ubuntu Netbook Remix and then maybe look at solutions from there. We'd need
a bootable USB stick with Karmic on for the meeting. I'm pretty sure you can
run Ubuntu on the MSI Wind but I don't know if you need some special hacks
to make the wireless work. Might need NDISWrapper or something.

Does anyone know more about it? I thought I'd ask on the list before the
meet so we can be prepared and look all impressive, like we know what we're
talking about. In my case this would be an improvement at least. Anyone have
any thoughts or experience with putting Ubuntu on these machines?

Thanks in advance,