[Liverpool] Fw: [LSF] DIY with collective knowledge - 2:30 Sunday 15th Nov

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Fri Nov 13 14:04:57 UTC 2009

I know a few people expressed a interest in this when I mentioned it at the
last LUG meeting, here are the details...

----- Forwarded message from "Evans, Luke" <L.Evans5 at student.liverpool.ac.uk> -----

From: "Evans, Luke" <L.Evans5 at student.liverpool.ac.uk>
To: "liverpoolsfannounce at lists.riseup.net"
	<liverpoolsfannounce at lists.riseup.net>, "ccc.liverpool at gmail.com"
	<ccc.liverpool at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:31:22 +0000
Subject: [LSF] DIY with collective knowledge - 2:30 Sunday 15th Nov

Hello ,

This Sunday from 2:30 the first DIY meeting/workshop/discussion will take place.

The idea being that if you have anything which needs fixing, be it clothes, a bike, a computer whatever, bring it along and try to fix it yourself.  All going well there will be other people there who have either experience in something similar, or keen to help out and together we will work it out.

For those of you who have nothing to fix (surely you have something thats been broken for ages and you just haven't had the energy or time to fix it), there will be an project of making something.

The plan for this week was to make a bicycle powered generator, which I have a few electric motors, all the cabling, and diode which will be needed for the electrical part.

Because of the short notice, and my lack of planning, this week I  will be building a bike trainer stand, and we can talk about, or even attempt to make one between us.

Parts for a bike trainer stand needed are 3 lenghts of 0.5 meter threaded bar (like a really long bolt without the head, any fixings shop should sell these) with 6 nuts to fit. 10mm thick would be a good size if buying it, if finding/stealing/using existing stuff then any size may be workable.

5x4mm wood at 3 meter length ideally, but any wood you have lying around with lengths over half a meter may do.  I am going to try and make one out of pallets.

old handlebars from a dumped bicycle

I will bring tools needed for this, but if anybody is coming along to fix something else and is unsure of what tools would be needed and if they have them, e-mail me on eg0u8065 at student.liv.ac.uk as I may have what is needed

Hoping to have finished by 5-5:30ish, stick around for a chat, then enjoy the usual sunday food at 6pm and film at 7, which this week is SALAAM BOMBAY!

cheers

luke