[Liverpool] WPA_Supplicant doesn't. (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Go Back To CAT5)

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Fri Nov 27 09:43:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 06:41:53PM +0000, Ben Arnold wrote:
> A pint* is the prize for anyone that can get wpa_supplicant to connect to a
> protected wireless network.
>
> Wicd can connect to unprotected ones -- proving the wireless, drivers etc. are
> fine -- but no matter the level of protection set, wpa_supplicant times-out
> when trying to negotiate the authentication. (With unprotected networks, the
> networking system does not call wpa_supplicant, thus it works.)

Are you going off the status messages on the Wicd GUI? If so we have this
exact same issue when the Airport goes funny or the DHCP server isn't doling
out IP addresses. Are you sure the ecrypted AP is up and working properly?

Also within the Wicd settings you'll see some config setting to define which
backends it uses. I'd suggest switching to ioctl so wicd is poking the wifi
device directly.

> * In the case of Wrexham, your prize is whatever I can get from the bakery
> with the change from the train fare, as we don't meet in a pub!

LUG without pub? *head aslpode*