[Liverpool] WPA_Supplicant doesn't. (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Go Back To CAT5)

Ben Arnold iamseawolf at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 10:34:53 UTC 2009

On Friday 27 November 2009 09:43:41 Andrew Williams wrote:
> Are you going off the status messages on the Wicd GUI? If so we have this
> exact same issue when the Airport goes funny or the DHCP server isn't
>  doling out IP addresses. Are you sure the ecrypted AP is up and working
>  properly?

No, I'm running wpa_supplicant from the command line to get it's debug output.
That's where it tells me it times-out rather than any other (slightly more
helpful) message. In Wicd, it agrees that it's doing the authentication before
gracefully giving up.

The AP is WPA2 which my Fedora box and a (hasta la) Vista laptop can connect
to wonderfully. I even get better speeds than Vista :) I've tried PSK & TKIP,
WPA1 & WEP to no avail, though when unprotected it works. This is what lead me
to wpa_supplicant, as a standard connect works at a click.

> Also within the Wicd settings you'll see some config setting to define
>  which backends it uses. I'd suggest switching to ioctl so wicd is poking
>  the wifi device directly.

It seems this compilation of Wicd has different settings available; Fedora's
Wicd can do so (I actually use the other one but that's by-the-by) but it
doesn't seem to be there is SliTaz's one. Seems to tie up correctly though,
it's not as if a big chunk is missing.

> LUG without pub? *head aslpode*
I've been informed the rest have occasionally met at a pub, but since Wrexham
doesn't feature in the Good Beer Guide I'm not bothered :) Plus, WLUG isn't
full of the bartender-irritating, upstairs-closing anti-social (sorry, M$)
scallywags I expect at LivLUG :D

Cheers
Ben