[Liverpool] Iceweasel

Vladimir vladimir.jakubovskij at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 16:49:47 UTC 2009

2009/9/5 Simon Johnson <simon.johnson at gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>>
>> Iceweasel was mentioned at the last meeting and there seems to be a
>> continuing meme that the browser is somehow behind Firefox and was
>> branched off from on an old version (I shall mention no names as to
>> where this meme resides ;-)
>

> One of the things that really lets desktop Linux down is the browser
> experience.

what? Opera, Chrome and Firefox are far more superior browsers to MSIE.
superior in security, page rendering speeds, general usability, etc.

> It was so bad that I ditched my Debian install and went to Windows 7.

install debian, then apt-get install firefox. job done.
firefox is the fastest growing browser in the world.
is your bald statement suggesting that millions of lemmings are wrong (
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp)

> The browser is probably the single most important application in a modern
> operating environment*. Yet Debian has just about the worst browser of any
> modern OE.

use firefox then.

> The Windows version of Firefox is much more stable and requires fewer
> megabytes of memory than the Linux version.

numbers, please!
they r not that significant.

> It uses less memory, it's faster, and has many features that are included
> as standard that would require extensions in Firefox.

what is wrong with using extensions?

> It's sad, because I enjoyed every *other* part of the Linux. But Linux
> without a half decent browser is practically useless.

calling Opera and Firefox (and soon, Chrome) *even not a half decent browser
* is at least stupid (no offence)

vladimir