[Liverpool] Iceweasel

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Sat Sep 5 18:01:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 05:49:39PM +0100, Vladimir wrote:

> install debian, then apt-get install firefox. job done.
> firefox is the fastest growing browser in the world.
> is your bald statement suggesting that millions of lemmings are wrong (
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp)

... and that is the problem. Debian has made a silly choice in deciding that
their own hack-line is the default browser of choice, sure you can install
the Firefox(tm) version, but you still have to go out of your way to do it.

I gather what Simon is trying to get at is default choices, yes you can
install the latest and greatest on any OS but the default choices of some
distros are just plain stupid.

You have to admit, the Linux version of the "popular browsers" out there are
almost the black sheep of the family, its well documented that Windows Firefox
performs alot better than Linux. Chromium/Chrome was developed for Windows and
then ported over, same with Opera.

Anyway, I give out a resounding "meh", from my Windows XP machine running Putty
to my shell server and Chrome running in the background :P

--
Andrew Williams
w: http://tensixtyone.com/