[Liverpool] Iceweasel

Vladimir vladimir.jakubovskij at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 18:03:42 UTC 2009

hi, folks! (more ppl joining into our discussion)

firstly i HAVE tried all that i could to get Crunchbang to operate in a
> capacity that i see fit to use.

ok, fair enough. just out of curiosity: what kind of issues/problems you
faced?

> to automatically assume that someone is too lazy to find solutions is quite
> honestly rather rude,

yes, u r right. sorry for that. once again, didn't mean it in that offensive
way.

> and does not bode well with putting across a good image for Linux users.

well, as we are on Linux Users' mailing list, so in a way this is an insider
discussions.
outside of linux users' circles my wordings would be ... more polished and
polite

> also with regard to the comment about browser offerings: you DO realise
> that Chrome, Opera, Firefox all have Windows counterparts (which are the
> offerings i was referring to).

what is "Opera's windows counterpart"?

i do know a bit more about the browsers than an average joe.
and if you are not talking about MSIE's different modifications (based on
feature-expansion)
then there are not that much browsers (not talking about obscurities here).
Opera, Firefox and Chrome are cross platform (the later still has a way to
walk), Safari runs on both windows and linux.
MSIE - is a windows only browser.

the options are limited, i would say, so calling them "browser offerings"
and suggesting that it is worth hassle of obtaining a version of windows
(and paying for it!), learning to install it on a real hardware (what means
obtaining the various drivers for the system's hardware components) and
investing your time to see that the windows version of FF is somewhat faster
then the linux one?

i use firefox everywhere. i know it runs best on mac osx and that windows
version doesn't have some issues, that the linux version does.

> to again return to the comment about "laziness" and the shortcomings, if
> any open source software is to gain any kind of momentum amongst the
> "average joe" user, then it needs to be attractive to that end user. having
> a browsing experience that is slower than that of the SAME browser running
> in a closed source operating system is not going to be that attractive.

i agree. never argued with that. what i am saying is that the difference is
not that significant.
just remembered, i use firefox on windows once a while when i see one friend
of mine, who runs windows on her laptop with firefox.