[Liverpool] Bestbuy's Linux training

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 11:00:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Andrew Williams <andy at tensixtyone.com>wrote:

> When Microsoft are spreading the FUD at retail level, how can Linux
> defend itself? Jo public is looking at the "experts" at retail stores to
> direct their purchases, we've already seen this happen with the fight
> over Linux vs. Windows netbooks.
>
> --
> Andrew Williams

I read this yesterday and it's pretty sickening. They're saying that Windows
is more secure than Linux because it gets regular security updates.
Regular?! Once a month on patch Tuesday, really regular that. Most Linux
distros get almost daily updates. They also seem to argue it's more secure
because there are anti-virus & malware products available for Windows from
large vendors. Completely ignoring the fact you don't need those things on
Linux. They are still available if you want them, ClamAV etc.

It's not hard to see why the "experts" in most shops are so full of shit
with training programs like this. The whole "take our brainwashing course
and get a cheap copy of Windows" approach bothers me as well. Typical MS
buying people off with bribes and spreading their misinformation.

I'm glad someone brought this to light. How much else is out there that we
don't know about though? The mind boggles.