[Liverpool] BookCrossing

Tom Hall thattommyhall at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:58:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh> wrote:
> I don't understand BookCrossing.  I looked in the FAQ for a question
> along the lines of "what is the point of this?" but I couldn't find
> anything.  I'm wondering if anyone can explain it to me?
>
> This is my usual method of getting the light bounced off of the ink on
> the pages of a published work to enter my eyes:
>
> 1. I look up a full reference for the work.
> 2. I buy it.
> 3. I read it.
>
> Is there any chance anyone could explain a method of getting the light
> bounced off of the ink on the pages of a published work to enter their
> eyes, that includes BookCrossing?
>
> Bob

Wow Bob, your 3 step method is amazing. You could maybe add
4. Give it a BCID.
5. Release it into the wild for someone else to read.

You could replace 2 with
2a Find book randomly
2b Go to a crossing zone and choose a book for free
2c Search for books released into the wild near you

It is difficult to get the exact book you want perhaps so maybe if
step 1 is necessary then 2 is essential too.

Clear?