No subject

Sat Oct 2 15:15:04 UTC 2010

tall the OS. You need some kind of=A0boot-loader installed or you need a JT=
AG programmer. It would be=A0possible=A0to=A0develop=A0a=A0universal=A0boot=
 loader but I=A0don't=A0see this happening any time soon. It would need=
 some kind of standard bootloader/bios on all ARM Devices.=A0<div>
o install=A0Linux=A0on a ARM processor I would check out the=A0<a href=3D"h=
r></div><div>
3:39, Sebastian <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop at open-t.co.uk">=
" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
Just a bit of an open topic - more for my general knowledge, if not for any=
thing else :-)<br>
I was thinking about the fact that the market is being taken over by these =
iPad clones (ish) - and all of the ones I&#39;ve seen seem to be based on s=
ome flavour of ARM processor. I was wondering if this would mean a new impe=
tus for the various ARM Linux distributions out there. I&#39;m aware that t=
here has been continuous effort in this direction over the years - but the =
most significant ARM devices available for (sort of) mass consumption have =
been some hackable routers, and the SheevaPlug device. I&#39;m not really a=
ware about other stuff with ARM inside that you could just buy and install =
Linux on.<br>

Would people here think that we will see new effort directed towards hackin=
g all these cheap(ish) ARM tablets and installing some proper Linux on them=
. I don&#39;t know much about hardware particularities for these devices - =
specially things like BIOS (or whatever ARM world tends to call it) - which=
 might make it difficult or impossible to hack around on these. Or if this =
might mean that a generic ARM distribution couldn&#39;t pull it off - as ea=
ch device might have esoteric ways of beeing rooted/jail-broken - which wou=
ld fragment too much the development effort.<br>

In case I wasn&#39;t clear enough in my ramble :-) : are we going to see a =
situation, like in the x86 world, where one can just download an ARM distri=
bution, pick up any ARM tablet, install it and get on with things - kind of=
 some sort of universal compatibility? Again, I don&#39;t enough about hard=
ware aspects of the ARM world - so I would like to know if I&#39;m imaginin=
g the impossible.<br>

Any comments welcome,<br>
Sebastian<br>