[Liverpool] Linux on ARM

Graeme Dyas admin at zabouth.com
Sat Oct 9 13:59:19 UTC 2010

>I do understand the need for phone manufacturers and networks to lock these
devices down - to minimise costs.

The locking down of android is depressing. I think google got spot on with
the nexus one. You can fully unlock the device with one command "fastboot
oem unlock". However this will void your warranty. I believe it
add something to a bit of write-once memory and changes the boot screen to
show a padlock. So its easy to see if the phone has been unlocked. I would
call this a fair compromise.

I also hate Java (To much syntax not enough code) so i hope that the SL4A
project (http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/) bears fruit soon.  I
know they are working on a way of building packages based on SL4A that can
be uploaded to the market.