[Liverpool] Linux on ARM

Sebastian shop at open-t.co.uk
Fri Oct 8 17:30:09 UTC 2010

On 10/08/2010 04:44 PM, oscillik wrote:
> again, the N900 would fill most of what you seem to want here. it's just
> that Maemo 5 does have it's caveats, and the alternative options
> available all have their own caveats too. Maemo 5 even has a fully
> integrated SIP client.

I agree with your point, except for the fact that there aren't any other
manufacturers out there which do devices fully compatible with the N900
platform at the moment - and even worse - there is no guarantee that
Nokia's next tablet/pad/thingie will be compatible with it. I won't be
free to just keep on buying into the same platform - and transfer all my
data, settings and skills to another compatible device when the N900
dies. Until one platform/standard truly ends up dominating the ARM
market (in terms of compatibility) - you will still have never ending
segmentation of software support and required skills.

I could even settle for sticking with one single manufacturer - as long
their devices would be based on some widely accepted standard which
would seem most likely to last a very long time - to guarantee
compatible upgrades within an open standards platform. But at the moment
none of that seems to be happening - even Nokia isn't committed to their
own Maemo.

Android does seem to have best chances of long term survival - but their
degree of openness - as stated by the other posters and by what has been
happening recently - is really questionable from where I'm standing. It
isn't even a community driven open source project - as far as I can
tell, most control and direction is really coming from Google.

Sebastian