[Liverpool] SIP Providers

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Fri Aug 19 06:44:26 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 18/08/11 14:34, Liam Craddock wrote:
> Afternoon all,
>
> I want to setup a SIP phone at home instead of getting a BT line. I have
> a Cisco 7940g phone which has a SIP firmware image I can flash on. I
> want to to talk directly to the sip provider, no go through any
> intermediate hardware.(Sebastian, any reason why this wouldn't work?)

This could work, with some caveats. On the plus side, it saves you
having an Asterisk server to configure. On the minus side, it gives you
less flexibility in configuration and specially troubleshooting. Your
phone will not support as many options and codecs as Asterisk - no
matter what model you use.

Also, as the others have pointed out, most phones have limited ability
to pass through NAT's both ways. STUN, ICE and open ports all can help
here - depending what the phone supports. Although I use the 7940g's
that you gave me - I haven't investigated NAT traversal with them - as I
never needed it. However, open incoming ports add some question marks on
the security front - but you can help by limiting source ports to your
provider's IP address(es) at firewall level - to at least mitigate the
potential for DoS or worse. You will have to research in this case if
your provider does use a limited number of specific IP addresses. Some
providers do, others don't.

You will also struggle (or find it impossible) to run multiple phone
sets on the same line (in different parts of the house) - depending on
the provider's settings - if that is something to be desired.

But the above doesn't necessarely mean it is impossible. I would say
that phone sets aimed more squarely at consumers (such as some DECT sip
phones or some soft phones such as X-lite) seem to be better equipped in
the NAT traversal department then phones aimed at business - which are
expected to be inside a NAT - talking to a voip server on the local
network. But that is merely a general observation.

Also, if you use Asterisk you will be able to use IAX trunks. They don't
use two different port (sets) like SIP - so they are more straight
forward to pass through firewall. But, generally, you can't use IAX
directly with a phone - although there was one IAX hardware phone if I
remember correctly - and one or two soft phones.

> My question is, what sip providers would people suggest? It'll be low
> call volumes, possibly one or two calls a week, and probably most
> incoming. I'll need an external number and I don't really mind if its
> local or not. Do sip providers generally charge for incoming calls?

There are plenty of providers out there. I would say, specially for
tests, it is hard to beat somebody like sipgate.co.uk. You get a free
incoming local phone number (0151 etc.), and pay-as-you-go for outgoing
calls. They didn't have any setup costs last time I checked, and no
monthly cost. Even if you use them for initial testing - and then move
on to some contract based offering. I've managed to set them up on
Asterisk for incoming and outgoing without opening ports in the firewall.

I have also used gradwell.com - and found them good. They were doing two
types of SIP trunks - an enterprise one which absolutely required
incoming ports open - and one designed to be used on its own (without
Asterisk) - which I believe might have worked without opening ports.

I would be curious about using voipon.co.uk as VoIP providers. I've
never used them for phone calls, but I bought quite a bit of VoIP
hardware over the years from them - and been very pleased with it.

> I also want to configure the devices and test them before committing to
> anything, do providers let you do this?

Again - a pay-as-you-go provider would come in handy here. If they also
provide an incoming phone number - like sipgate do (and others I
believe) - it can be useful for testing both incoming and outgoing.

Sebastian