[Liverpool] SIP Providers

Jonathan Archer jon at rosslug.org.uk
Fri Aug 19 09:25:46 UTC 2011

Hi Liam,

I've previously had a similar setup as you are talking about, I used to
use sipgate.co.uk as a provider but found they got a bit congested so
moved over to localphone.com.

You get a UK geographical number (not sure if they are free anymore) and
free incoming calls, just pay for outgoing.

You will need to enable various port forwards for SIP to traverse your
NAT, but once these ports are opened you shouldn't have any issue.

One thing that is worth looking into is whether your router supports QoS
(Quality of service) or whether you can flash a 3rd party firmware which
does. This will ensure your VoIP traffic gets priority so as not to
damage call quality or even worse disconnections from the service.

I currently run asterisk on my linux box with a localphone sip account
for incoming and outgoing calls and have done without issue for a number
of years now. I also use a Cisco 7912 and a Cisco 7911 with SIP
firmwares (the 7912 was the one i used to use with just the
localphone/sipgate services).

Hope this helps.

Jon