[Liverpool] Ubuntu sound prob

phil hargreaves phil at whi-music.co.uk
Sat Feb 12 10:21:52 UTC 2011

On 11/02/11 23:28, liverpool-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Welcome to the list!
>
> I'm not sure I will be able to help you much. I'm afraid I'm a Slackware
> man myself. However, I've done several Ubuntu 10.10 installs recently -
> and I've noticed that Pulseaudio is used by default - in between
> whatever software you are using and Alsa. I had myself some problems
> with Pulseaudio on these Ubuntu machines - mainly with sound stuttering
> and freezing after a while.
>
> I hope somebody who runs Ubuntu will be soon along with more Ubuntu or
> Gnome specific suggestions (although I wouldn't have thought it is Gnome
> that's at fault - as you don't have problems with system sounds - but I
> could be wrong).
no - there's no sound on anything. See below
> Few more things:
>
> 1. I've tried the website you mentioned (www.afolksongaday.com) and it
> works fine on my Slackware machine on Firefox.
it worked fine on SuSE before as well.
> 2. You didn't say which version of Ubuntu you have.

10.04 - should i try upgrading to 10.10?

> 3. If you click on the speaker icon in the top right corner, and then
> 'Sound Preferences' - what do you have listed under the 'Hardware' tab?

This is the odd bit. Under 'Input' it lists my sound card (ICE1712
[envy24] - an MAudio Delta 44). But under 'Output' it just lists 'Dummy
Output (stereo)'. So glad it's a stereo dummy output, mono would be just
dreadful. Under 'Hardware' it lists the card, but as only having input.

i've persuaded 'aplay' to work from a terminal, so i'm concluding that
ALSA is OK, but Gnome, for its own reasons, hasn't acknowledged the
output side of the card. And i'm not sure how to persuade it to do so.

cheers

phil h