[Liverpool] Ubuntu sound prob

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sun Feb 20 15:26:36 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 10:17 +0000, phil hargreaves wrote:
> On 11/02/11 23:28, liverpool-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:

> This is the odd bit. Under 'Input' it lists my sound card (ICE1712
> [envy24] - an MAudio Delta 44). But under 'Output' it just lists 'Dummy
> Output (stereo)'. So glad it's a stereo dummy output, mono would be just
> dreadful. Under 'Hardware' it lists the card, but as only having input.
>
> i've persuaded 'aplay' to work from a terminal, so i'm concluding that
> ALSA is OK, but Gnome, for its own reasons, hasn't acknowledged the
> output side of the card. And i'm not sure how to persuade it to do so.

As others noted, this does indeed sound like pulseaudio doing bad
things.  Can I suggest bringing the machine along to the next meeting
and we can have a look at it?  There are monitors, keyboards, speakers,
etc at the Liverpool Social Centre so we can just plug your machine in
and see if we can't get it to work.

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>