[Liverpool] A free internet

Simon Johnson simon.johnson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 15:23:40 UTC 2011

One interesting suggestion I saw was store and forward using Bluetooth on Mobiles.

You'd have a program that would keep you Bluetooth connection promiscuous at all times and you'd transmit messages on behalf of other people, encrypted of course.

The routing would be done by the web of trust on PGP.

Let's say Neil wants to transmit a message to Bob. If my PGP key signed Bob's key (which is a matter of public record) and I prove to the Neil's device that I own the key that did that signing, it would forward the encrypted message to me.

Finally, when I see Bob at the next LivLug, he would prove to my device he actually owns the master key and it would transmit the message to him which would then decrypt.

Given the adage of "six degrees of separation" and the fact that many people on trains share the same space, this could be a very effective sneaker net .

It would be totally impossible to control too.