[Liverpool] A free internet

Andrew Bates oscillik at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 15:26:45 UTC 2011

right now, Simon is being investigated by MI5 due to this very email ;)
On Jan 8, 2011 3:21 PM, "Simon Johnson" <simon.johnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> One interesting suggestion I saw was store and forward using Bluetooth on
Mobiles.

> You'd have a program that would keep you Bluetooth connection promiscuous
at all times and you'd transmit messages on behalf of other people,
encrypted of course.

> The routing would be done by the web of trust on PGP.
>
> Let's say Neil wants to transmit a message to Bob. If my PGP key signed
Bob's key (which is a matter of public record) and I prove to the Neil's
device that I own the key that did that signing, it would forward the
encrypted message to me.

> Finally, when I see Bob at the next LivLug, he would prove to my device he
actually owns the master key and it would transmit the message to him which
would then decrypt.

> Given the adage of "six degrees of separation" and the fact that many
people on trains share the same space, this could be a very effective
sneaker net .

liverpool-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Bob Ham
> Sent: 06 January 2011 22:50
> To: liverpool at mailman.lug.org.uk
> Subject: [Liverpool] A free internet
>
> Hi all,
>
> We've discussed the issue of creating a grass-roots based network separate
from the Internet before[0] so I thought the following article might be of
interest:

http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/liverpool/2009-November/002330.html