[Liverpool] Report from the Liverpool Social Centre meeting

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sat Jul 2 21:41:34 UTC 2011

Hi all,

The Social Centre have monthly meetings.  I attended the most recent,
last Tuesday (28th June).  Here's a list of things that were discussed:

* One of the computers needs a private user for collection of Social
  Centre email.  This needs to not disappear :-)

* Two more areas will be added for a computer to be used in.  Firstly,
  there is an alcove off the cafe area in the basement which will be
  converted into a computer work station.  Secondly, a fold away
  kiosk-style work station will be attached to the wall next to the
  library area.  Both of these will be done by the Social Centre
  volunteers and they will notify me when they're finished and ready to
  be populated with computeryness.

* The computers under the table in the existing computer area can be
  used by the Social Centre.

* They want a computer to be able to use the projector but particularly
  with clear instructions on how to make it work.

* There is no clear solution for printing.  There are inkjets but they
  tend to clog.  It's not clear which computers can and can't print to
  which printers.  The following printers exist:

  o One inkjet printer in (what used to be) the office
  o One laser printer by the computer area
  o One photocopier by the computer area

  I noted the massive disparity in cost effectiveness of laser printers
  and it was decided that it should be the focus.  Apparently, the
  photocopier uses the common laserjet4 printer driver on Windows and so
  probably will work with Linux.

* They would like us to run some introductory sessions to show people
  how to do basic things in Linux.

* One member would like a DTP package (I mentioned Scribus and said I
  would make sure it was installed).

So, to condense this there are a few tasks that need doing immediately:

1. Set up printing using the laser and/or photocopier
2. Set up the projector with one computer
3. Run introductory sessions

I'm intending to make a start on the first two this Monday.  In general,
though, I think the computers in the centre need some kind of attention.
I'm intending to give them this but that shouldn't discourage others
from helping.  If you want to get involved, please don't wait for people
to say "this needs to be done", just get stuck in :-)  (Talk to me, or
Maria, about getting keys.)

The last one is really the biggy that the LUG can get behind.  I've
actually been considering the possibility of running some kind of
beginners sessions where we just have some computers with Linux on that
people can come and play with.  Possibly we could demonstrate installing
Linux on a Windows PC or something.  Anyway, I'm thinking we could put
something together for the Social Centre people first and then put on a
session that's open to the general public?  TBD :-)

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }