[Liverpool] Report from the Liverpool Social Centre meeting

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 00:19:53 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh> wrote:

> <snip>
>

> So, to condense this there are a few tasks that need doing immediately:
>
> 1. Set up printing using the laser and/or photocopier
> 2. Set up the projector with one computer
> 3. Run introductory sessions

I'm happy to help with any of these. Will try to coordinate with you.

<snip>

> The last one is really the biggy that the LUG can get behind.  I've
> actually been considering the possibility of running some kind of
> beginners sessions where we just have some computers with Linux on that
> people can come and play with.  Possibly we could demonstrate installing
> Linux on a Windows PC or something.  Anyway, I'm thinking we could put
> something together for the Social Centre people first and then put on a
> session that's open to the general public?  TBD :-)
>
> Bob

I like this idea and I think we could do well with it. I speak to plenty of
people who'd like to learn about Linux but feel that they'll be ridiculed or
confused by the LUG. They wouldn't be, I know that from the great people we
have. But getting that message out to the wider community would be good.
Dispel the myth that we're all angry bearded people, ok so I might not be
helping with particular part much.

As I said. I'm happy to help. Doubt I can make it down this Monday but you
never know. If you're planning to head down any other time and work on this
let me know, or post here, I'm sure I'll get along to help sometimes if not
every time.