[Liverpool] Silent PCs

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Fri Jun 17 21:53:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 22:08 +0100, Dan Lynch wrote:
> What cards are you using there Bob?

Two M-Audio Delta 1010s.  They have a rack-mounted ADC along with a PCI
card and a big fat cable between the two :-)

  http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_au/Delta1010.html

They should be synchronised using word clock but unfortunately, they'll
only generate word clock signals if the sample rate is 48kHz and I don't
have a separate word clock generator.  So, I have to synchronise them
using S/PDIF.  That's not a problem as such, it's just not as cool :-)
It does mean I lose out on a digital connection from one of my synths
though (EMU Proteus 2000).

> I have an RME Hammerfall 9652 PCI card which is supported by ALSA.
> It's a nice card but I bought both it and my Soundcraft digital mixer
> off eBay years ago and I've never gotten them working quite right
> together over ADAT links. I suspect a mains problem with the mixer
> causing noise. Anyway, this is beside the point.
>
> Curious to know if you use RME cards as well?

RME kit is all Nice.  Very Nice :-)  Unfortunately, I don't have any :-)
If I could afford it, I would have two Hammerfalls instead of my Delta
1010s.

RME actually provided documentation for Paul Davis (Ardour and JACK
developer) to write the ALSA drivers.  They are cool :-)  They even used
to have this web page:

  http://www.rme-audio.net/old/english/linux/alsa.htm

About your Hammerfall woes though, I'm afraid that is beyond my current
experience.  I'm absent both RME and ADAT skills.  I fear it would be an
afternoon of bending behind things, googling, plugging and unplugging
cables, getting frustrated, staring mystified at product manuals,
turning it off and on again, and other such activities in order to tame
that kind of thing :-)

Bob

PS, I should point out that when I say, I use my Delta 1010s and such, I
mean I use them when they're set up and not in storage at my aunt's
house in Bristol.  Err.  Like they are at the moment :-)

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }