[Liverpool] Meeting redux

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Sat Apr 7 20:58:07 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Following the meeting and conversations in the pub I thought it was
worth sending an email to recap and also provide further info on a few
points:

1. The problem with the tunnel during the demonstration was that the
IPv4 address for the tunnel's local endpoint was set to the
public-facing address, rather than the NAT'd address.  That is, I set
the local endpoint to 94.168.1.156 when I should have set it to
192.168.0.4.  This has tripped me up before and in fact I had intended
to mention it during the demonstration.  How ironic :-)

2. IPv6 privacy extensions were brought up.  Here are some links to
information:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6#Privacy

  https://home.regit.org/2011/04/ipv6-privacy/

3. In the pub I talked a bit about what "registration" means in
legalese, the differences between legislation and law, and the
difference between police officers and policemen/women.  This
information all came from a single video of a talk by a guy called John
Harris titled "It's an Illusion":

  http://www.tpuc.org/node/558

He's not the most eloquent of speakers but he knows his stuff and he
gets it across well enough.

4. I mentioned that I've been working on the LUG website.  I've
rearranged and cleaned up some of the text on the front page, making it
less cringe-worthy and hopefully read less like we're desperate for new
members.  Significantly, I've included Saturday meetings as well as
Wednesday meetings.  I've also put up a list of past meetings:

  http://liv.lug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=past_meetings

I could actually do with some assistance with this list.  All of the
normal meetings from 2009-06-03 to 2011-07-06 are listed with the Welkin
as the watering hole.  However, I know that on at least two occasions we
went somewhere else, once to the tiny Roscoe Head where they gave us a
big plate of leftover sandwiches, and once to the Fly in the Loaf where
we sat in the bay in front of the window.  Unfortunately, I've forgotten
when these occasions happened.  There may have been other places we went
to that I don't recall.

If anybody can remember or figure out which meetings were the ones when
we went to either of these venues, I would appreciate you either letting
me know or updating the page.  If there are any other times when we
didn't go to the Welkin that I've forgotten, please also let me know.

5. I've put up some photos:

  http://liv.lug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=photos

I already mentioned this to Ste but if others who took photos want to
add them to that page, I'll have to upload them to the static area of
the website (unless you put them somewhere else on the web and link to
them there).  Unfortunately, lug.org.uk's docuwiki seems intent on
refusing to allow uploads.  If you put the images up somewhere or send
them to me, I'll sort it out.

Cheers for now,

Bob

--