[Liverpool] How LibreOffice Writer Tops MS Word

Daniel Hartley D.R.T.Hartley at liverpool.ac.uk
Thu Apr 19 20:49:53 UTC 2012

Thanks guys for your speedy responses. I thought there should be a way
to get round this but didn't know where to begin.

Depending on the exact flavour of corruption (and if it's a native
     open document file), you might be able to open the file in your
     favourite zip file manager and extract the contents that way. ODF
     files are just a bunch of zipped-up XML files after all. I just
     tried it on Ubuntu 11.10 - rename the file and stick '.zip' on the
     end, open it in 'Archive Manager' and see if you can open the
     'contents.xml' file in a text editor.

I'll try and rescue it either tonight or over the weekend.

If you need help configuring your system, we can help :-)  Though I
would be surprised if a LibreOffice crash was due to misconfiguration.
Is there something else that isn't working?

I think there is a slight graphics problem with Linux Mint 11. It can
freeze; which is what happened before. Not sure if that would be due to
LibreOffice Writer or a more general graphics problem (which  tends to
more often occur when watching television online, but is still very rare).

I still haven't attended a LUG meeting yet; I generally just post inane
comments and make small requests over here. I do mean to come, just a
bit busy these current months while I conclude my Ph.D. Maybe when my
Rasberry Pi arrives I will come along....

Regards.

On 19/04/12 21:40, Bob Ham wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 21:32 +0100, Daniel Hartley wrote:
>> It's interesting you just send this out. I would generally completely
>> agree; however half an hour ago a document I've been working on for
>> months became corrupted using LibreOffice and I'm now spending the night
>> trying to salvage it from elsewhere......
> I'm sorry to hear that.  However, I don't think that's a problem which
> is specific to LibreOffice.  Indeed, the article explicitly mentions
> that the author has common problems with Microsoft Word crashing whereas
> LibreOffice Writer remains stable.
>

>> Alas, the tribulations of an unknowledgeable Linux user unable to
>> configure a properly working system...
> If you need help configuring your system, we can help :-)  Though I
> would be surprised if a LibreOffice crash was due to misconfiguration.
> Is there something else that isn't working?

dhartley.net
allthingsflow.org