[Liverpool] How LibreOffice Writer Tops MS Word

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Thu Apr 19 21:42:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 21:56 +0100, Daniel Hartley wrote:
> It wont following the suggestions you gave unfortunately. However, there
> is data in the file. Being cheeky and using my unknowledgeable status to
> try to authorise it, I've attached the renamed file and the original in
> the hope some sympathetic individual might be able to help me out.

rah at myrtle:~$ unzip -l indie\ post\ corruption.odt
Archive:  indie post corruption.odt
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.

Unfortunately the archive is indeed corrupt.  That's not to say that
retrieving information from it is impossible, just a non-trivial task.
Looking at the file using less it does seem structured; I can see a mime
type and information about image formats and colours.  What is needed is
an understanding of the zip archive format, something I don't possess.

Does anyone else on the list have a working understanding of the zip
archive format?  If not, Daniel, I would suggest reading up here:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_%28file_format%29

I'm almost afraid to ask, but did you keep old copies or backups? :-)

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>
Diaspora: rah at pod.settrans.net

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }