[Liverpool] Diaspora

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Fri Apr 20 18:50:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 19:29 +0100, David Nelson wrote:

> I'm not talking about it being open source, of course it is,  but the fact
> that they do not provide source in versioned bundles, you need to synchronise
> your server using git

I see what you mean.  Strictly speaking, the project is in a very early
state and most projects will refrain from making versioned releases
while the project is still under heavy development.  I've done this
myself.

However I appreciate the argument that the Diaspora project may have
reached a stage where they should be making versioned releases.  There
is a danger that it will simply devolve into using the date or the
source repository revision as a version number.

The project is not without its problems.  I've just been involved some
blunt finger wagging on their mailing list about the atrocious
documentation.  Time will tell whether the project will find its feet
and successfully attain the lofty goals set for it.  Personally, I
believe the very presence of the project has changed the landscape for
the better.

Meanwhile my pod is up and running.  It exists and works right now :-)
I enjoy using it and communicating with people in the Diaspora network.
Long may it continue :-)

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>
Diaspora: rah at pod.settrans.net