[Liverpool] How LibreOffice Writer Tops MS Word

Neil Bothwick neil at stfw.net
Tue Apr 24 15:04:27 UTC 2012

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:54:49 +0000, Hartley, Daniel wrote:

> You are a star for trying. I have a back up but will have lost a days
> work including some tricky tables summarising how i think independent
> music emerged. I wish I'd listened to myself and left work rather than
> going for a few more minutes. Ah well. Thanks again. I owe you a drink.

I know I'm coming to this a bit late but there may still be hope. Linux
filesystems generally do not overwrite a file when you save a new version
of it, which means that your previous saves (or auto-saves) may still be
intact on the disc, even if not included in any listings. Photorec, from
the testdisk package, can recover all files on a filesystem, included
deleted ones. Running this over the whole filesystem will generate a huge
number of files, with meaningless names, but they should have suitable
extensions (the name is lost when the file is replaced but the filetype
can still be identified).

Whether it is quicker to trawl through the results of running photorec
than to recreate the file only you can say.

Note: you need to run photorec with the filesystem unmounted, I generally
use a live CD and save the results to a USB or networked hard drive.

--
Neil Bothwick

If nothing sticks to Teflon, how do they stick teflon on the pan?