[Liverpool] How LibreOffice Writer Tops MS Word

Daniel Hartley D.R.T.Hartley at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 15:09:18 UTC 2012

Thanks very much for that Neil. I have already begun the task of
recreating the document, as well as installing a more rigorous back up
system. The experience has, however, been an insightful one, your
various comments giving me the knowledge me and perhaps others on the
list need to take action in the future. It has been a really good
illustration to me of what is so special about Linux and the mailing
list system. Thanks for that.

Regards,

Daniel.

On 24/04/12 16:04, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:54:49 +0000, Hartley, Daniel wrote:
>
>> You are a star for trying. I have a back up but will have lost a days
>> work including some tricky tables summarising how i think independent
>> music emerged. I wish I'd listened to myself and left work rather than
>> going for a few more minutes. Ah well. Thanks again. I owe you a drink.
> I know I'm coming to this a bit late but there may still be hope. Linux
> filesystems generally do not overwrite a file when you save a new version
> of it, which means that your previous saves (or auto-saves) may still be
> intact on the disc, even if not included in any listings. Photorec, from
> the testdisk package, can recover all files on a filesystem, included
> deleted ones. Running this over the whole filesystem will generate a huge
> number of files, with meaningless names, but they should have suitable
> extensions (the name is lost when the file is replaced but the filetype
> can still be identified).
>
> Whether it is quicker to trawl through the results of running photorec
> than to recreate the file only you can say.
>
> Note: you need to run photorec with the filesystem unmounted, I generally
> use a live CD and save the results to a USB or networked hard drive.
>
>>> I've had a look, and it appears that the file was truncated mid-write,
>>> it's missing the end header, and an indeterminent proportion of the
>>> contents, there is one image in the file, which has appears to be a
>>> map of liverpool, and which comprises nearly all of the what is
>>> available in document, but has also been truncated within the file
>>> itself. Apart from a couple of  I can't find any text remaining in
>>> the file either.

dhartley.net
allthingsflow.org