[Liverpool] Departure

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Sun Aug 26 18:48:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 22:07 +0100, Bob Ham wrote:

> I am stepping
> down as a volunteer for LivLUG and I will no longer be attending
> meetings.

Thanks, I appreciate everybody's kind words and well-wishing.  I'll
refrain from responding to other points people have raised because I
think doing so would be a bad idea in this instance.

There are practical matters that need attending to.  There are a number
of responsibilities I've taken on which others will need to volunteer
for and which need a hand-over of some sort:

1. Meeting announcements

   This involves making announcements and finding speakers to announce.
   It also involves maintaining the parts of the wiki related to talks,
   in particular the list of past talks and the list of upcoming talks.

2. Liaising with Liverpool Social Centre

   This involves joining the LSC's -discuss and -volunteer lists and
   being aware of any issues they have with the computers.  We pay for
   our use of the LSC by maintaining their IT systems so it's necessary
   for someone to act in the capacity of support.

   The LSC are having their monthly meeting this Tuesday, 28th.  I'll be
   going in order to tell them I won't be involved with LivLUG any
   longer.  It would be good if whoever volunteers to take over this
   responsibility came along as well so that I can introduce them. Short
   notice I know, sorry.

   Recent words from the LSC are to the effect that they would
   appreciate it if groups who use the centre attended their monthly
   meetings.  I was intending to go as a representative of LivLUG every
   other month.  It would be good form for whoever takes over as liaison
   to do something similar.

3. Liaising with lug.org.uk

   I will email the lug.org.uk admins and tell them to hand over LUG
   responsibilities to whoever volunteers, once the volunteer tells
   me.  In addition to dealing with the website and mailing list
   hosting, a person is listed on the lug.org.uk main site as a contact
   for LivLUG:

      http://lug.org.uk/node/82

   It also involves joining the lugmaster at mailman.lug.org.uk mailing
   list.

4. Acting as op for #livlug IRC channel

   The channel doesn't seem to be used any longer so this doesn't really
   mean much but it is still registered and exists.  David Watson is the
   channel founder and can hand out operator privileges.

That's about all the responsibilities I can think of.  I've yet to write
the LivLUG history that I said I would.  I will do that soon.  There is
a tarball containing a number of LivLUG-related files, including the
announcement script and its accompanying mailing-list data file here:

   http://pkl.net/~node/misc/livlug-files.tar.gz

It also contains attendance data, the LivLUG logo .svg file and the
t-shirt and sticker source files.

One final tidbit as a data dump: last month I asked the lug.org.uk
admins how many people were subscribed to this mailing list and the
answer was 129.

Bob

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>