[Liverpool] Atom Cedar Trail Linux compatibility

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 18:52:26 UTC 2012

Hi David,

I'm not sure there is any direct relation between the two - and their
support status under Linux. Cedar Trail - if my understanding is correct
- is actually one generation before Clover Trail. And in a way, they
live in "parallel" universes - as "N" series Atoms (which Cedar Trail
are) tend to be aimed at regular netbooks, while "Z" series atoms (which
Clover Trail are) were aimed in the past at MID's (although a limited
number showed up in some netbook models) - and in the future they seem
to be aimed at tablets and smartphones.

The thing with Cedar Trail (N2100, N2600, N2800 - which you can buy
right now in notebooks) is that they don't use an actual Intel GPU - but
one designed by PowerVR. And although Intel contributes to the kernel
development, the same can't be said about PowerVR. That is why the Intel
GMA500 (which was actually a PowerVR design) - which was bundled with
the old Intel Atom Z6xx series - has never had proper support under Linux.

When it comes to Clover Trail (which consists of the Intel Atom Z27xx
series) - things seem to be a bit more complicated - as it seems that
the architecture of the entire CPU is under question when it comes to
support under Linux. Add to that the fact that these Atoms seem to be
built into devices without a traditional BIOS (like the few Intel
powered smartphones already on the market) - and the issue of support
under Linux seems to become further complex.

Sebastian

Linux vehicle CCTV - www.open-t.co.uk/iroko