[Liverpool] Possible topic for future talk

Neil Bothwick neil at stfw.net
Wed Oct 24 12:09:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:16:52 +0100, Sebastian Arcus wrote:

> I'm in the process (read: struggling, cursing and pulling hair out) of
> installing Linux on a new machine which only supports UEFI (the
> replacement for BIOS) and GPT (the replacement for MBR). Now maybe
> others using more sleek distro's than me ;-) will have a bit less of a
> hassle - but it occurred to me that a talk on some of the workings of
> UEFI, GPT and how it might affect installing Linux could be an
> interesting topic for those who haven't dealt with this hurdle yet. Any
> takers?

I've been using GPT with traditional BIOS for some time, it's a lot nicer
than farting around with primary, extended and logical partitions. but
I've not experienced UEFI and would love to hear about the pitfalls
before I do - as you probably wish you had ;-)

We've already got a talk booked for November, so how about I put you down
for the December talk?

--
Neil Bothwick

The three Rs of Microsoft support: Retry, Reboot, Reinstall.