[Liverpool] LUG Meeting update - 7pm tonight @ LSC

Dan Lynch dan at danlynch.org
Thu Jan 10 18:38:06 UTC 2013

On 10 January 2013 17:17, David Hughes <dghughes82 at gmail.com> wrote:

> <SNIP>
>
> Actually, Debian Squeeze is still on Gnome 2.
> They haven't officially announced an end of life date for it. The
> Wikipedia article gives a clue, though: Lenny was released 2009-02-14,
> and supported upto 2012-02-06, whereas Squeeze was released 2011-02-06
> and so will presumably be supported until February 2014.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Releases
>
> The only problem with Debian is that the software versions often feel
> quite ancient; they're still on Firefox 3, for example. (Except that in
> Debian, for some reason, they've rebadged Firefox as Iceweasel.
> Similarly, Thunderbird is called Icedove. I can't remember why.)
> If all they use the machines for is web browsing, word processing and
> emailing, it may not be a problem, though. It's a bit more effort to set
> up, but you end up installing less stuff that you're probably never
> going to use, which is probably better for an older machine.

This is my worry. The age of software in the stable branch. I am a big fan
of Debian but use it mostly on servers rather than desktops for this
reason. It's a good suggestion. Well worth considering and discussing.
Thanks.

> How about Debian testing with an LXDE desktop? (which is what I've got
> on my laptop at the moment) Debian testing has alreaady been through one
> phase of testing (unstable, aka Sid), so it's stable enough for everyday
> use, the packages aren't ancient, and it works on a rolling release
> model - i.e. you won't need to worry about having to upgrade to a newer
> version a year or two down the line.
> LXDE is quite intuitive and has low overheads, and - as far as I know -
> is going to be around in its current form for the forseeable future.
>
> Cheers,
>
> David

The testing branch is more up to date indeed. I haven't used LXDE much if
I'm honest. It could be a good option. Whatever we use I want to try and
set it up as close to the current UI as possible.

Keep the ideas coming folks. It's all good to discuss :)