[Liverpool] Talk last night

Dan Lynch dan at danlynch.org
Thu Nov 7 18:24:52 UTC 2013

On 07/11/13 11:44, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 09:29:10 +0000, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>
>> Also, the immense team effort required to discover one tiny lost IP
>> address has been impressive! We should all be proud :-)
>
> Nmap - a piece of software so intuitive, a room full of Linux geeks can't
> work out how to do such a simple task with it without recourse to the man
> page and a web tutorial, and even then it took several tries. Who says
> Linux is hard to use?

Hah, very true. Thanks guys. It was a bit of a mess and I had no talk
prepared but thankfully the live demo worked. Completely un-tested or
prepared hehe :)

I said I'd post links related to the talk for those interested. Here you go:

- The guide I used to compile DarkIce for the Pi with MP3 support -
http://www.t3node.com/blog/live-streaming-mp3-audio-with-darkice-and-icecast2-on-raspberry-pi/

- NOOBS for Raspberry Pi, for those getting a Pi and wanting and easy
way to set it up. This makes it trivial -
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

- The Pi Ladder volume meter project -
https://github.com/rm-hull/raspberry-vu

- The USB audio card I used -
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx

I will keep you up to date with progress. As I mentioned last night the
next stage will be some hardware hacking with the ladder, some nice
fruit machine style buttons and putting it all in a decent case. I'm
thinking an old ice cream tub or a shoe box will work from prototyping.
One of those classic VU meters with a needle for the volume would be
epic, but that's some way off.

I don't really know how to do any of this stuff at the moment but it's
all an adventure. If free time allows me I'll get it all to work one day :)

Thanks for listening and to so many of you for turning up and waiting
till we could get into the room.

Take it easy,