[Liverpool] RaspPi talk

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 11:12:41 UTC 2015

On 05/03/15 08:37, jn1057 wrote:
> Hi! Although i didn't quite understand all of it i got the gist! Yes that issue was discussed. V1 r.pis are  essentially limited by the cpu with plenty of capacity available and unusable at the I/o interfaces. V2 r.pis have a better balance of on board resources for ultimate performance if/when they are used as a model cloud.
>
> All slides and other related info from the doctor are available at Www.poscotso.info
Thanks for that. Looking at the various specs online, it seems that the
Pi2 has the lan attached to the usb bus as well. In that case,
technically the CPU is not truly the limiting factor - it is just being
hogged down by having to service inefficient usb attached interfaces (OK
- maybe the correct phrasing would be "less efficient" interfaces then
for example SATA or PCI-e). I guess a lot of the stats last night,
specially when it came to Pi vs. Intel i5, could have been predicted by
in large based on the fact that the Pi architecture doesn't have a PCI-e
or SATA bus. Both would allow the storage and network side of things to
function at much higher performance with much lower CPU usage.

Still, they seem to have done fantastic work in porting Docker and some
of the other virtualisation bits to the Pi. Good work!