[Liverpool] Hosting my own email servers - part 547!

jn1057 jn1057 at inbox.com
Wed Jul 26 18:41:03 UTC 2017

Hi everyone!

Another update.

Finally seemed to have found a system that I'm looking for!

A debian - not Ubuntu - distribution from yunohost.org It can run on anything from a raspberry pi upwards.

Most of the install is straight forward but the disk partition process is very convoluted - particularly when setting up logical volumes

While much of the various server stuff is slightly locked down, it boots to a text login prompt and from there it can be modified to apt-get etc.

When installed from the distribution it is almost ready to put to work.  Admin can be done through ssh, local terminal, Web page. Various apps and services can then be installed.

All I really wanted was an email server / Web mail server with related file storage for users. Yunohost can do this by installing either rainloops or roundcube and either nextcloud or own cloud. All of that stuff just works as expected.

However I'm still having trouble with two and a half things.

1. Sourcing and installing the correct ssl certificates into the correct place

2. Emails are correctly being sent and recieved but are of the form user at www.domain.tld rather than user at domain.tld

2.5 not sure how to set up more than one server at my domain - each providing different yunohost services.

My progress so far is:

1. Yunohost does have various tools for ca certificates but they are issued in the name of yunohost not my domain name

2. Just trying to install the second server and this one does use correct email syntax user at domain.tld. Not been able to test sending or receiving yet though because the ssl certificate won't let me log in!

2.5 problem isn't critical to solve right now

Maybe members of our livlug group might be interested in giving this distribution a try - it doesn't live boot though so needs a "real" install. Foot print is about 250mb although mine is almost 1gb due to lxde and Firefox!