[Liverpool] Alternative browser suggestions

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 11:08:02 UTC 2018

Hi Ste,

On 27/03/18 09:42, Stephen Watkin via Liverpool wrote:
> Hi Seb,
>
> That's an interesting one. I've not had much of a problem with memory
> consumption myself but I do have a few other problems with Firefox and
> Chrome and it'd be nice to explore the current landscape.

I guess it's not strictly the memory consumption that grates me the most
- as on a laptop with 8GB of ram and a slim desktop environment, I am
not short of memory. But Firefox becomes so unresponsive after a while!
I need to keep for my work and private stuff 5-6 browser tabs (or
windows) open all the time - and after a few days, it often is a case of
waiting 3-5 seconds for Firefox to respond.

> I always find when I'm looking for alternatives that I last about 5
> minutes with whatever new software before I come across a missing
> feature that I didn't even know I used on whatever it is I'm looking to
> replace. I think for me, getting a decent-sized checklist of feature
> requirements would be a bit of a job in itself.
>
> I had a job a while ago that required a locked-down 'kiosk'-type browser
> with a couple of odd requirements (i.e., touch scrolling before touch
> scrolling was a thing that had trickled down into the 'stable' distros)
> and I think the furthest I got was with 'Midori' which struck me as
> quite a well-rounded product - although there's almost certainly going
> to be at least one show-stopper requirement that rules that out for you.

I just tried to install Midori - but it aborted for some reason during
the compilation of webkit2gtk (or something like that) - and right now I
don't really have the time or inclination to delve deeper. I might give
it another go when I have some spare time.

> Let us know how you get on!

At the moment I am trialling a browser called Brave - apparently based
on Chromium. It is early days, but it feels more responsive than
Firefox, and I kind of like the interface. We shall see.

Thanks for the suggestions