[Liverpool] Sending sms message from Linux command line through Android phone?

Neil Bothwick neil at stfw.net
Thu Oct 11 20:22:46 UTC 2018

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 20:02:50 +0100, Sebastian Arcus via Liverpool wrote:

> I have implemented an email-to-sms gateway a while ago at a client
> using Gammu/Wammu and a 3g usb modem. Another client is asking for
> something similar, but they want to use an Android phone, which they
> can disconnect from the gateway and use for other purposes when needed.
> Gammu/Wammu doesn't seem to support Android phones yet. Anybody here
> has any experience with sending text messages from Linux command line
> using an Android phone (ideally through USB)? The adb command seems
> like a possibility, but the examples I've seen look messy.

There is a way that can be used without needing to keep the phone
connected to the gateway. Register a free Pushover account and install
the app on the phone. You can send Pushover messages through its HTTP
API, I do it from a Python script that acts as an MQTT relay, so it
should be easy to do with an email filter.

Then comes the part I haven't actually tried, the Pushover app includes a
plugin for Tasker, which is a sort of IFTTT for android, so you could set
up a Tasker trigger that forwards Pushover notifications to SMS.

The phone doesn't need to be connected to the gateway, or even the same
network, it just needs a cellular and data connection.

--
Neil Bothwick

Do Roman paramedics refer to IV's as "4's"?