[Liverpool] Sending sms message from Linux command line through Android phone?

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 10:34:00 UTC 2018

On 11/10/18 21:22, Neil Bothwick via Liverpool wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 20:02:50 +0100, Sebastian Arcus via Liverpool wrote:
>
>> I have implemented an email-to-sms gateway a while ago at a client
>> using Gammu/Wammu and a 3g usb modem. Another client is asking for
>> something similar, but they want to use an Android phone, which they
>> can disconnect from the gateway and use for other purposes when needed.
>> Gammu/Wammu doesn't seem to support Android phones yet. Anybody here
>> has any experience with sending text messages from Linux command line
>> using an Android phone (ideally through USB)? The adb command seems
>> like a possibility, but the examples I've seen look messy.
>
> There is a way that can be used without needing to keep the phone
> connected to the gateway. Register a free Pushover account and install
> the app on the phone. You can send Pushover messages through its HTTP
> API, I do it from a Python script that acts as an MQTT relay, so it
> should be easy to do with an email filter.
>
> Then comes the part I haven't actually tried, the Pushover app includes a
> plugin for Tasker, which is a sort of IFTTT for android, so you could set
> up a Tasker trigger that forwards Pushover notifications to SMS.
>
> The phone doesn't need to be connected to the gateway, or even the same
> network, it just needs a cellular and data connection.

Thank you Neil. I haven't dealt with Pushover before - but it certainly
looks doable. If possible, I usually prefer a system where as many
components are contained inhouse, so that I can troubleshoot and
reconfigure them as needed. I think I will go down the route of a
classic Nokia with S40 on it, and Gammu - to begin with. They are all
tested components and work reliably - and it is a relatively simpler setup.

Incidentally, I discovered that Jolla/Sailfish can send sms's over SSH.
I might go down that route at some point :-)