[Malvern] Saving Web sites.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 16 12:46:48 BST 2004

Guy Inchbald wrote:

>GEOFF BAGLEY <geoff.bagley at btinternet.com> writes
>

>>Sorry, this is a Windows question !  I often collect info for my Linux
>>system using my other (Win98)  machine.
>>(It has a CD burner !)  Using I.E.    I want to replace it with Firefox.
>>
>>Some web sites will not allow me to save them.
>>
>>Why might this be ?  Is it intentional,  or due to my own system ?
>>

>Firstly, your PC may be protecting itself. Some stuff, such as java
>applets, ActiveX stuff and other web scripts, may produce active content
>which your security settings (IE, java engine, etc) regard as unsafe.
>You can tweak IE security settings (Tools > Internet Options >
>Security), but I don't know about full-blown java.
>
>Secondly, the web provider may be trying to protect sensitive material
>(financial, copyright, etc). Protocols such as https, and other recent
>MS based stuff, do have a variety of anti-Save devices built in. I don't
>know how easy any of this is to get round - sometimes you can write a
>web page with a link to some particular file, and then download and save
>the file, but this is unreliable, and for active scripts is often not
>much use without the back-end database.
>
>HTH
>
>Cheers,
>Guy

Thank you for that Guy.

On my Windows98 box I have now replaced both IE and  Outlook Express.
I am now running  the  Mozilla Firefox browser and the Thunderbird  mail
prog.
They both look good.  Both  Open/Free software.

I will be getting the LINUX version of Firefix  (I already have Mozilla
and Konquerer).
I may stick with KMail though.
This is the first mail to go out on the Thunderbird.

Best regards to all the gang.

Geoff