[Malvern] Configuring ethernet card.

Steve Cashmore steve at cashmore.me.uk
Fri Jul 23 22:18:49 BST 2004

At 21:30 23/07/2004 +0100, Geoff wrote:

> > However if the box to which you wish to transfer your net drivers
> > doesn't yet have a working network card, FTP might be a problem!
>

>Both machines are dual boot.  Both of the Windoze halves can access the
>router.
>
>The one machine "TREN" can also access the router using Debian Woody.
>The other machine "HAFREN" is OK on Windows98, but I have not yet been
>able to configure the NIC.
>
>What I was looking for was a way to copy the NIC driver from TREN to HAFREN
>so that I can get the Linux side working too.
>
>Both machines run Debian GNU Linux 3.0  "Woody".
>Chris kindly upgraded  TREN over the internet, getting all the ltest files
>anf fixes.  I want to do the same for the other box, to get it up to the most
>recent  standard.
>
>Hence the need to get that card configured !
>
>I was looking for a way to ftp from the Linux half of TREN into the Windows
>half of the other box,  where I could save it to either a CDROM or a floppy.

I see.  The password question is still moot.  If you really want to
transfer the files over your LAN then you need to place the the file on
TREN/Woody in a place where either a web server like Apache or a FTP server
like wu-ftpd can serve it up for consumption.  Then simply browse to it
from HAFREN/Win98 with your web browser and download it to a folder that
HAFREN/Woody can access.

Quite honestly, unless you have time to burn or have done it before, it is
as easy to copy it to a floppy or CD-RW, and transfer it that
way.  Sneakernet as it's known.

--
Steve