[Malvern] Ubuntu CDs update

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Fri Nov 26 11:39:24 GMT 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:29:55 +0000
Andy Lowton <andy at dragonfly.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Do I need to consider moving from Gentoo or is it just yet another linux
> distribution?

Depends what you want. Ubuntu is based on Debian, and they were (are?)
giving out free CDs, including the cost of sending them to you. Linux
distributions are, like editors and scripting languages, the subject of
great and heated (and largely pointless) debate. Open Source is about
freedom - you can choose which Linux distro is right for you. Each distro
I've used has its pluses and minuses, and as I said it depends what you
want. I have different requirements for the Linux distro that I use on my
desktop compared with the one I would install on a customer's site as a
remotely-managed server. If I were to install a mission-critical database
server, it would be different again.

Gentoo's fun, and has some nice architectural features such as portage, but
you may eventually get bored with compiling every new application. You then
have around 100 other mainstream distributions to choose from, and
countless minor distros. Maybe you should try a few and then post a summary
of what you felt were the strengths and weaknesses of each for the benefit
of others?

Keith