[Malvern] Ubuntu CDs update

Andy Lowton andy at dragonfly.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 12:38:58 GMT 2004

Keith,

I agree with a lot of what you said regarding different distros and
such, but you didn't answer my question 8-) What is ubuntu's selling
point? They same to make a big deal out of the fact that they release
every 6 months.....so?

I have already done what you suggest about trying a few distros over the
years, starting with slackware that you had to put on about 20 floppy
disks in 1993. Of the ones I have used a lot:

Mandrake: Good for beginners and a solid choice for a desktop.
Slackware: Good for advanced users who want to customise their own OS
from a solid base.
Gentoo: The ultimate in optimisation, like slackware but without the
need for ever upgrading (which was a pain).

WRT Debian.  I only installed it once, didn't get on with it and
replaced it within 24 hours..can't remember why.

<blasphemy>
I would say that for a server, be it a firewall, mail server,web server
or whatever that you can't go wrong with Microsoft
</blasphemy>

Hehehehehehehe, just kiddding. I really meant OpenBSD which is solid,
reliable and secure.

l8z

andy