[Malvern] Re: First steps with Linux

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Thu Aug 4 20:10:03 BST 2005

An alternative alternative is to press alt-f2 which will display a run
menu (like win-r in windows). At the run menu type xterm. It remembers
what you ran previously so the next time you need a terminal[1] use
alt-f2 then the down/up arrow keys to go through the list of previously
ran programs.
xterm is not the default terminal in redhat, it uses gnome-terminal
(though xterm will still be installed).

Rick

[1] If you are very new to this you may not know 'terminal' and 'command
line' mean pretty much the same thing. Apologies if you know this.