[Malvern] Internet settings.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 18 20:56:36 GMT 2005

I have a curious set-up problem.

As some of you know, I have three machines, all on a LAN.

One by one, I have been upgrading them from Woody to Sarge,
the idea being to get ahead of the rush when the change-over
occurs.

On the machine hostname "tren", no problem, running Sarge.
The machine hostname "gwy", is still running Woody OK.
I am using it now.

The troublesome one, hostname "hafren", is up-graded to Sarge.
The network settings all seem normal.  It can ping the other two
and also the router.

However, on "hafren" I have failed to get either a browser (Mozilla) or mail
client  (KMail) to work.  They can't see the outside world.

Where is the best place to look ?  The various GUI options have not yet
enabled me to make the break-through.  I guess it is a config problem, but
where ?

I would guess that it is something common to both the mail client and
the browser.   The LAN otherwise seems OK both ways.

I have tried copying the settings from "gwy" to "hafren", both of which run
KMail.

Any suggestions please ?

Geoff.

PS Tren= R.Tern, Gwy=R.Wye, Hafren=R.Severn- all in Welsh.