[Malvern] Internet settings.

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Fri Mar 18 21:32:46 GMT 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 08:59:51PM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:

> I have a curious set-up problem.
>
> As some of you know, I have three machines, all on a LAN.
>
> One by one, I have been upgrading them from Woody to Sarge,
> the idea being to get ahead of the rush when the change-over
> occurs.
>
> On the machine hostname "tren", no problem, running Sarge.
> The machine hostname "gwy", is still running Woody OK.
> I am using it now.
>
> The troublesome one, hostname "hafren", is up-graded to Sarge.
> The network settings all seem normal.  It can ping the other two
> and also the router.
>
> However, on "hafren" I have failed to get either a browser (Mozilla) or mail
> client  (KMail) to work.  They can't see the outside world.
>
> Where is the best place to look ?  The various GUI options have not yet
> enabled me to make the break-through.  I guess it is a config problem, but
> where ?
>
> I would guess that it is something common to both the mail client and
> the browser.   The LAN otherwise seems OK both ways.
>
> I have tried copying the settings from "gwy" to "hafren", both of which run
> KMail.
>
> Any suggestions please ?

Make sure all three have the same /etc/network/interfaces file apart from
the static IP address which is on your piece of paper on the wall.  All
this typing ifconfig commands is for the birds and a definite source of
errors.  Mine is below between the two lines of --s

---------------------------------------

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.4
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway 192.168.1.1

---------------------------------------

Make it look similar to this one above, apart from each machine having a
different address line which'll probably be 192.168.0.25 etc. and the
gateway line which should be 192.168.0.1.

Then make sure /etc/resolv.conf is the same on all machines.  You can do
this using rsync e.g. on hafren

	rsync -av tren:/etc/hosts /etc/hosts
	rsync -av tren:/etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

Of course, you'll need to apt-get rsync.

>From a networking point of view they should all be identical if you do
this.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR