[Malvern] Internet settings.

Geoff Bagley geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 19 14:29:00 GMT 2005

> Make sure all three have the same /etc/network/interfaces file apart from
> the static IP address which is on your piece of paper on the wall.

They were all correct.

> Then make sure /etc/resolv.conf is the same on all machines.

The missing bit was the nameserver.  Now installed.

>You can do this using rsync e.g. on hafren
>
> 	rsync -av tren:/etc/hosts /etc/hosts
> 	rsync -av tren:/etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Of course, you'll need to apt-get rsync.

I did that.  "rsync" looks useful.  I suppose I can use it to transfer
arbitrary files across the LAN ?

Well,  firstly thanks for you guidance.  The browser now works OK.

I still have a problem with the KMail,  which differs from older KMails.
I expect I will crack that one.

By the way,  the /etc/resolv.conf file carries a health warning saying don't
edit by hand - it will get overwritten.  I ignored that,  and we have
progress.

Best regards,

Geoff