[Malvern] Adding a hard drive.

Chris Eilbeck chris at hyperspace.org.uk
Sat Mar 26 14:13:35 GMT 2005

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 01:39:05PM +0000, Geoff Bagley wrote:

> Hi Chris,  and the gang.

Wotcha!

> I now have two separate versions of Sarge running on "tren".
> One is on hda, the other hdb.   (hdc is the DVD.)
>
> I have added another hard drive hdd as slave on the second ide.
>
> I wish to use this as an  extra drive, common to BOTH linuxes,
> in order to transfer file between them,  even when only one is able
> to be running at a time.
>
> Where can I find info on setting this up ?
> I guess I have to change both  /etc/fstab  files,  but have never
> done this before.

This new disk, is it completely blank?  Is there nothing on it you want
to keep?  Here are the steps assuming it is blank.

- spin up either of the two linuxes

- run fdisk using "fdisk /dev/hdd" and hit p to see what partitions there
are already there

- using the d command if necessary delete the old partitions

- using the n command add a new partition to the disk, I'm guessing all
of it as one partition

- use the w command to write the changes to the new disk

- make a filesystem on the disk by typing something like

mke2fs -j /dev/hdd1

which will create a ext3 filesystem

- open your favourite text editor and add a line such as

/dev/hdd1	/mnt/newdisk	ext3	defaults	0	3

to your /etc/fstab

- create a mount point using

mkdir /mnt/newdisk

- type mount -a to mount your new partition

- boot the other linux and change the fstab in the same way

All should now be well.

> By the way, all three disks are running, even when only one OS is.

What do you mean by running?

> I like that collection of photos !

I had a bit of a giggle too.

Chris Eilbeck
Tripoli UK Member #9527                                          LSMR