[Malvern] bird eats fish

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Mon Jun 19 00:38:55 BST 2006

Dudes

Just had my first ever phishing scam email. Thunderbird put up a big
warning banner, which was neat. I read about paypal's fake woes and
clicked the paypal link anyway. Got a nice dialogue box asking if I
really wanted to go to www.boutique-insight.com as Tbird thought it was
a scam. Also neat.

Undeterred, I went on to the page (in Firefox) which cleverly removes
the url bar from your browser window and places what looks like a java
applet at the top which mimics a https://www.paypal.com/ address bar.
The fonts were out but it obviously fools the sheep of the world.
It then displayed a page which had the url bar removed but with no fake
copy. It also stopped anything from appearing in the status bar if you
hovered over a link.

I'd like to make two points to the parasites who run these scams which
I'll share here.
Firstly, don't expect to fool me with a fake url bar if you put a blue
'e' in it.

But the most important point

I don't have a paypal account.

I was thinking of swapping Tbird for something else. Looks like it
earned a reprieve tonight.

Cheers

Rick

This just in!
Bonus addition to Geoff's 'choices' list
export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups / no such .bash_profile entry