[Malvern] apt-get dist-upgrade

Darren Beale bealers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 20:51:09 BST 2006

Around 30 mins ago I plugged in an moth-balled Dell server that in a
previous life I used as a dev web server and this time around I intend
to use as a pre-production web server. The 2x SCSI discs that were in
there I knew hadn't be used for ages as it'd ran out of space at some
point so we used some fat IDE ones; these are now long gone as the
machine was decommisioned a few years back and we used the disks for
something else.

Anyhoo, upon insertion of the correct SCSI leads I switched it on and
it boots into Woody; soon after fsck told me that the disks have not
been checked for 895 days so I go get a beer from the fridge whilst
it's doing its thing.

When I get back I login as root (phew remembered password) and df -h
shows me sensible partitioning so I figure I'll try a full upgrade and
see what happens (because I can right).

After 30 secs editing /etc/networking/interfaces and /etc/resolve.conf
with the correct settings for the network here I do:

apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade

BIG long list of stuff

I have to answer a few questions (e.g. do I want to keep my version of
vimrc [YES]) and I have to press enter a few times.

I'll admit that it fell over once on a hacked by me *cough* start-up
script for bind, but once I made the change and re-ran the
dist-upgrade it finished without a further hitch.

/etc/debian_version now reads 3.1 as opposed to 3.0 and if I were the
sort to care about my uptime I didn't even have to reboot.

Debian Fan Boy