[Malvern] apt-get dist-upgrade - Part 2

Richard Forster rick at forster.uklinux.net
Mon Oct 9 00:21:18 BST 2006

Darren Beale wrote:
> SO...I then go take a bath, finish off pickling a load of onions and
> have my tea.
>
> When I get back I figure I'll just reboot the machine to check.
>
> After POST the reboot gets no further that 'LI' then hangs.
>
> Rich, take that grin off your face *right* now.
Moi?

I don't know whether to laugh because you were spot on or commiserate.
Now I've had my share of failed to boots so I know thy pain. One was due
to a proper disk crash, the kind that makes mechanical crunchy noises.
The machine didn't actually crash when it lost the disk with /home and
swap on, I could still use Afterstep[1], just couldn't save any files or
reboot.

What did you say at Geoff's about machines that would run OK but
wouldn't reboot.

Cheers

Rick

[1] You can guess how long ago this was. I'll never get those 0.00033 TB
back.